Sunday, January 21, 2007







Well, now I'm really stuck in a rut, although my loyal readers (stolidog and this Chinese woman who spams my blog with automated compliments) won't believe me. I decided to break with the depressing theme by picking out some places that I thought were warm, happy architecture to show the other side of the city. Two are of Belvedere Palace, and one is of a famous church, Karlskirche, with one of the most over the top interiors I've ever seen. Then I got to thinking...Belvedere Palace was built for Prince Eugene, who successfully fought the Turks in 1683, who had beseiged the city and almost starved it into submission. And the church was built to celebrate the end of Vienna's deadliest plague outbreak. So maybe the Viennese are only happy when they're in crisis mode?

0 comments: