Sunday, January 28, 2007

22. Uji





Stubbornly I'm sticking with the timeline I laid out for the day, i.e. Kyoto temple, then I guess go to hotel and change clothes, train to Nara for a long day of hiking and temples. It gets a bit more complicated, because I'm sure that on the way back to Kyoto we stopped at the small town of Uji, pictured here. This is Byodo-in, built in the 10th century as a home for one of the Fujiwara clan. As usual, it was converted into a Buddhist temple after his death. It's incredibly elaborate for a Japanese building, which generally lean heavily toward minimalism. Unfortunately, it was also under renovation, so it was pretty much a big construction site when we were there, so I'm impressed we were able to cover up most of the ugliness in these photos.

0 comments: