Friday, January 26, 2007





I'm getting close to the point where I can remember what we did day by day, which will give you some additional mind-numbing detail of our travels. This trip is somewhere in between. I know on day one we pretty much arrived, took the train to Kyoto, checked in and walked to the nearby Nijo-jo palace of the shoguns. The various temples I've been talking about so far, the Path of Philosophy etc. are all on the second day, which explores Eastern Kyoto. These photos were of our lunch break on day two, which is a fantastic Buddhist vegetarian restaurant called Okutan. It's several hundred years old, and sits in the gardens of one of the many temples. Mom and Dad may be a bit uncomfortable, but you sit outside on the floor with legs crossed under the low table, while the kimono clad waitress brings you noodle soup with cubes of bean curd and a big plate of vegetables, which you add into the soup. It's quite nice, (ok a bit bland) but it's a beautiful setting and as an added bonus no struggling with the menu because you don't get a choice!

4 comments:

Jehosafat Armbender said...

man! I love Japanese architecture! Thanks for the tour

Anonymous said...

what the????

who are these people?

while I'm randomly commenting, I will say that it's relatively annoying that when I post a comment, I can't get back to the post I was commenting on, I'm taken back to the most recent blog post and I have to scroll backwards to get where I was.

That may be a good thing, as it limits my pointless comments.

Somchai and Brian said...

They're called fans, stolidog. While I'm making random replies, are you notified when someone replies to your comments? Otherwise you probably never look back at your comments so I'm replying into outer space

Anonymous said...

no, i'm not notified....i'm going back today to review old comments WHICH is annoying of course because every time i click on the comments link i can't return to that post, i get brought back to the very first post and have to scroll forward through everything to get back to where i was.

i'll survive, i guess.