Sunday, January 21, 2007



I'll get the Mozart connection out of the way, since it's not much. Despite 90% of the tourist kitsch in town being Mozart-related, the only real sight is this yellow house at left, where he was born. But the house is at the heart of the old town, essentially two long streets running parallel and connected by a plaza. The buildings are actually pretty austere, and tightly packed so as to create the most arctic wind blasts possible. But the warmth of wall to wall people walking up and down these two streets helps boost the survival rate. OK, so you get the idea, it was freakin' cold, and I won't mention that theme for the rest of the Austria trip. (and I know the picture doesn't look crowded, which it's not in winter because most people have frozen to death, but I've been in summer and it's like the running of the bulls in Pamplona, without the bulls) And I know I just mentioned the cold again. Last time, I promise.

0 comments: