Friday, January 26, 2007





Just off the Path of Philosophy lies the street that feels like a Tokyo subway. Cherry blossoms give way to shops selling souvenirs, temple offerings and "delicious" Japanese sweets to tempt the tourists headed toward Ginaku-ji temple. I put "delicious" in quotes because they're definitely an acquired taste. I really like Japanese food in general, but it definitely a delicate cuisine often verging to bland. So I think the Japanese palate needs only the slightest hint of a flavor to register a big taste impact. That's why the sweets, which taste like sponge to me, are a big hit with schoolkids, who I guess get their sugar high off of them. They're also coated with some dusty outer coating to make sure you get a slight gag when they're in your mouth. On the plus side, each piece is lovingly wrapped and put in a beautifully presented box. If only you could eat the packaging!

0 comments: