Sunday, February 18, 2007




Sometimes when I'm traveling I see a place that's so amazing I spend hours just walking around stunned. I had been looking forward to Durbar Square in Kathmandu since the beer commercial, so when I finally finished sightseeing there, I made a mental note and checked it off my list of places to see before I die. On most trips, I then come down a little off my travel high, as a feeling of "what's next?" replaces my original amazement. Well, the great thing about Nepal, is you can just repeat the whole discovery process again. Each of the old capitals has a Durbar Square, and each one, though following a similar pattern, is still a fascinating experience. Patan's is smaller than Kathmandu's, but also in many ways more elaborate and definitely less hectic. As in Kathmandu, it meanders around the Royal Palace, and these photos try to capture the central part of the square.



0 comments: