Saturday, February 24, 2007


The most important temple in Laos, (and the largest and shiniest), Pra That Luang is located a couple of miles outside of town. Originally built in the 1300's, it's been rebuilt many times, with the recent version built in the 1930's. Surprising, since I had it pegged as a '70's kind of architectural statement. Basically a huge mound of cement painted a very bright gold, everything about it struck me as awkward. But it does make a fitting end to our visit to Laos' capital city. Oh, and I almost forgot, I stayed at the Novotel, at the time the only business hotel in Vientiane. There are a couple of more stylish boutique hotels now, like the Settha Palace hotel, which is clearly preferable. But if you're in the unlikely position of being on a business trip to Vientiane, the Novotel is a perfectly adequate place to stay. Unfortunately I can't remember anything about it beyond its adequacy, so I'll give it straight 5's and a goose egg for wow factor.




0 comments: