Saturday, October 27, 2007

105. Westport, CT

Because my parents don't approve of my relationship with Somchai, we're not allowed to stay in their house, and have to stay in a hotel when we visit them. We stayed at the Inn at National Hall in Westport, about thirty minutes south of Monroe. The hotel is fine, the usual New England chintz interior, although the exterior would be a major disappointment to any unsuspecting tourist looking for the quintessential New England experience. It's a brick building that I think used to be a factory, and is now marooned in a suburban office park surrounded by a parking lot. Service is also patchy. There are only about seven or eight rooms, and we stayed there for about a week, but every time we came to reception we had to identify ourselves and our room number, like there were so many Caucasian and Asian gay couples staying there simultaneously that they couldn't keep track of all of us. And we never met the manager the whole time, which is odd because at these types of places they always stress the family feeling, which is non-existent here. (Room: 6, Facilities: 3, Service: 3, Overall: 4). Oh, and I was just kidding about my parents of course, the real reason we don't stay there is that my room still has the bed I used when I was in high school, which is about the size of the pillow I use on our current bed.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seems to me that being picky and a little elite deprives you of free lodging and of course wonderful home cooking

Anonymous said...

hmmm. tough call on this one. On the one hand, i agree with dad, but on the other hand, the bed at home is unbelievably small, and has a little polyester bed spread on it to boot.

and, of course, there's no such thing as wonderful home cooking in Monroe, CT.

Somchai and Brian said...

Yes, plus it's freezing cold, no curtains so it's flooded with light at the crack of dawn, and the bathroom is down the hall, something I left behind after graduation. So I assume you're just being diplomatic by this "on the one hand, on the other" stance, since you agree the room sucks and the home cooking is non-existent. I guess when you say you agree with Dad, you're agreeing that lodging is free, which is true, but it's also close to the market rate for that room.