Saturday, January 5, 2008

Had dinner at the Bauza Hotel's restaurant. We got a quick look at the hotel on the way in, which is supposed to be Madrid's version of the Ian Shrager hotels, but at least at first glance it didn't seem to measure up. The restaurant was attractively minimalist, although Somchai thought it looked like a school canteen. I guess the schools in Thailand had much better cafeterias than we had in Monroe. Dinner started off great, I had the usual jamon seranno on an innovative olive oil bread,and Somchai loved his foie gras salad. My main course of cod with a peppery cheese sauce was a very strange combination that I thought was one of the best fish dishes I've had in a long while. I also had a very good chocolate dessert while Somchai had a wonderful Greek yogurt ice cream. We must have hit the kitchen on a very good night, because it was one of the best meals of the trip for me, but the place is pretty low profile. It was also almost empty while we were there, although at 8 pm most Spaniards were probably just finishing breakfast. (Food-19, Decor-15, Service-16).


0 comments: