Saturday, January 5, 2008

116. Arenas de San Pedro

Monday started out very badly. We planned on going hiking in the mountains around Avila. We woke up to the usual overcast skies but decided to go anyway, so took a 2 hour drive with Manuel to our starting point, Arenas de San Pedro. This was a busy, not very attractive town, but seemed mainly to serve as a base for hikers. There were a few old buildings on the busy main street, and we decided to explore the castle ruins. Unfortunately the castle was under heavy renovation, and I got stuck talking to the construction foreman for about an hour, but eventually we pulled away, and ducked into a nearby shop to get a bunch of jamon serrano and other picnic provisions.

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm. sound suspiciously like a recent sugar shack experience. you just need to walk away from those situations.

Somchai and Brian said...

I think in both cases I was the first human contact either had had in about a year, so I felt bad walking away. As I write this sentence, don't you think "had had", though correct, is really awkward? We all know it is, which is why we say the second had different from the first, which makes two very un-English things about it, first repeating a word (common in Indonesian) and second changing the tone of a word (as in Thai and many Asian languages). I could have changed the second had to encountered but I think it's weird that if I want to say had, we haven't invented some contraction or something to eliminate the awkwardness.

Anonymous said...

isn't it "had'd"?