Friday, August 10, 2007

Working through the famous prince's life in reverse chronology, the Prinsenhof is Delft's most famous building and the site of his assassination in the sixteenth century. Prince William was using this former convent as his headquarters in his successful fight against the Spanish. Eventually the Spanish gave up and surrendered the country to Prince William, but they weren't happy about it. To even up the score, they sent an assassin to kill him. The bullet marks in the wall where he was shot are still there and a highlight of the tour.



I'm tired of writing about this trip when I really don't remember much of it, but fortunately this is the last post. If I were more into this, I would probably make something of the fact that this post marks both the end of our trip and the beginning of Holland with a witty bon mot, but I'm not so I'll just say The End.






0 comments: