Wednesday, August 1, 2007

92. Amsterdam

The rest of the trip is a complete blur, with no journal and a spotty photo record. I dimly remember we drove to Monroe and stayed with my parents for a few hours, then we continued on to JFK for our flight back to Bangkok via Singapore Air. Since that flight stops in Amsterdam, we decided to stop there for a few days as our honeymoon, but it was very much an afterthought and very little planning went into it. A few of our Bangkok guests had the same idea, and (I think) Khun Ann, Pen, and Gina ended up on our flight. Somchai and I were alone for most of the day, but we hooked up with the Bangkok crowd at night for some very late nights that I really can't recall.
I wouldn't recommend Amsterdam as a honeymoon destination, since it's not exactly romantic, but it is definitely a gay mecca, vying with London for the title of Europe's gay capital. So in this context it made sense as a stopping off point after a gay wedding. Pictured here is the Homomonument, the only monument in Europe to the tens of thousands of gays killed in Hitler's concentration camps during the second world war. (Actually to be totally up to date, I saw that Vienna just unveiled a very impressive gay memorial as well).

0 comments: