Friday, June 15, 2007






We had lunch at a highly recommended restaurant in the town piazza, pictured here. The indoors was very atmospheric and the outdoor seating a very nice way to spend a couple hours. However, if I were to do it again, I wouldn't eat during those two hours. Actually my food was ok, but Somchai ordered probably the most vile dish ever eaten, or smelled, by either of us, wild boar carpaccio. About three minutes before this plate of bloody raw pieces of a very gamey, very stinky wild boar, Somchai smelled the disaster being prepared. I don't have such a delicate sense of smell, but boy, when that dish came outside, the entire piazza filled with the odor. Do you remember the really fat man vomiting in Monty Python's Meaning of Life? It was like that, only worse.






Since I've been fairly negative on poor Volterra, I'll end with this panoramic photo of the town, which I think shows a pretty beautiful place, contradicting most of the negativity I've been expressing. Just stay away from the alabaster and the wild boar and you'll be fine.

0 comments: